10 Sober Things to Do Instead of Doing Drugs
Treatment Alternatives, a Massachusetts drug rehab center, knows that staying occupied during recovery can get difficult. It may seem as if you have exhausted all of your options. Fortunately, you haven’t! Your Massachusetts drug rehab center has compiled a list of sober things to do that will help keep your mind off of relapsing.
1. Create a playlist of “feel good” tunes and listen to it. Music is a great distraction. Assemble a list of your favorite songs. The greatest thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain. Massachusetts drug rehab center agrees that music helps alleviate some of the pain you may be feeling during recovery.
2. Join a gym. Working out is one of the best sober things to do for your health and your body during recovery. The releasing of endorphins will give you a positive outlook on staying sober.
3. Play sports. Did you know that there are leagues for every kind of sport? Not too into football? You can even join a kickball or Frisbee league.
4. Volunteer. There are hundreds of volunteer opportunities in your area. If you don’t want to volunteer at a hospital or a nursing home, you can join a beach cleanup party or join a church organization.
5. Learn how to play an instrument. If you have always found a certain instrument to be intriguing but have never found the time to learn how to play it, one of the greatest sober things to do on this list is to learn how to play an instrument. Your Massachusetts drug rehab center wants you to know that learning how to play an instrument is very time consuming and bound to keep your mind off of relapsing.
6. Study and learn a new language. Most libraries have language training disks in their inventory. There are also smartphone applications that allow you to study a language with fun games.
7. Start tending to a garden. You can begin a garden of food-producing plants, like tomatoes and peppers. You will be able to enjoy your plants in your fresh cooked meals.
8. Go to the beach. The beach is one of the most relaxing sober things to do on this list. If you close your eyes and listen to the surrounding sounds, you will find tranquility in your mind. When you find happiness in yourself, you are less likely to turn to drugs.
9. Learn to cook a mean dinner and a scrumptious dessert. Pretend you are a top chef for a day and learn how to cook a three-course dinner with the perfect pairing dessert.
10. Become a sponsor. You will find great satisfaction in aiding others in staying sober. Your Massachusetts drug rehab center supports all of those who are willing to take up the full-time job of understanding others and what it truly means to stay sober after recovering.